Art of BI: Datavail’s Christian Screen Co-authors Comprehensive Guide to OBIEE
John Kaufling | | June 26, 2017
The head of Datavail’s Oracle Analytics practice, Christian Screen, is a known business intelligence evangelist. Founder of Art of BI, a company acquired by Datavail in 2016, Christian is a prolific writer and presenter on Oracle Analytics, Business Intelligence, and related topics. Datavail is pleased to announce that Christian has released the second edition of his co-authored book, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) 12c — Second Edition, published by Packt Publishing.
The book is intended as a go-to mid-level reference to Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) with comprehensive. It provides the professional advice of three Oracle experts who guide readers through the stages of setting up OBIEE, populating it with data, testing it, and maintaining it.
New Book on OBIEE 12c Has Broad Scope
Clocking in at 578 pages, the new edition of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) 12c — Second Edition works its way through the setup and operation of this suite of enterprise management tools. Topics covered include:
- Installing OBIEE in Windows, including how to create the underlying Weblogic Application server and the required database
- Building the BI system repository, the vital engine connecting your data to the front end of Oracle BI
- Using data analytics to draw out meaning from the data and present it to end users on interactive dashboards
- Building pixel-perfect, shareable, printable reports using the embedded BI Publisher feature
- Building agents for actionable insight that enable users to act on Business Intelligence from the desktop or on the go
- Understanding the various aspects of securing the Oracle BI system, from data restrictions to dashboard access rights
- A survey of the system management tools and methods available for the continuous improvement of your system
Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) 12c uses a fresh approach to information presentation, system management, and security. OBIEE can help organizations understand their data, make useful information out of data, and ensure decision-making is supported by facts. OBIEE can focus management attention on information that needs action immediately, alerting users when conditions are met. It can be used for data analysis, form production, dashboarding, and workflow processes.
Step-by-Step Through OBIEE 12c
Christian Screen is joined by co-authors Adrian Ward and Haroun Khan in their desire to provide the most comprehensive aggregated reference to OBIEE 12c available today. They provide step-by-step instructions for getting started with Oracle Business Intelligence along with information about upgrading to OBIEE 12c. The book contains abundant examples from real-world installations, migrations, and upgrades.
Here are some of the important steps in installing and using Oracle Business Intelligence systems covered in this essential reference work:
- Oracle BI Architecture including Fusion Middleware and Weblogic
- Installation on Windows Server 2012
- Reporting Repository including Catalog Administration
- Installing and Configuring Client Tools
- OBIEE 12c System Management Tools
- Developing the BI Server Repository including Importing Tables
- Creating Analyses, Creating Dashboards and Customizing Dashboards
- Agents and Action Framework
- Developing Reports Using BI Publisher
- Activating Usage Tracking and Using It to Create More Helpful Reports
- Reduce Common Bottlenecks in Delivering Dashboards and Reports
- Using the BI Admin Change Management Utilities
- Reporting Databases, including Creating a Warehouse
Who Will Benefit from the OBIEE 12c Book?
Oracle BI helps organizations succeed at moving users from a transactional reporting mindset to an analytical mindset. It turns data into actionable insight.
If you are an IT professional, a business analyst, a project manager or newcomer to Business Intelligence you will find this book extremely helpful. If your job involves working with data, improving financial performance or operational efficiency — or you are a technician for any of the above — this is an important book for you.
If you have been placed on a Business Intelligence project and want some guidance on what is possible, this book will give you the support you need to succeed with OBIEE 12c. If you are a Project Manager, Business Analyst, or Data Scientist, this book belongs in your stack. If you are an end user of Oracle Business Intelligence, this will make an excellent reference tool.
Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) 12c requires a basic understanding of databases and the concept of Business Intelligence, but no knowledge of Oracle BI is required. You’ll need access to a Windows machine, preferably running Windows Server (but Windows 10 can cope), and a copy of SQL Server (Microsoft has now released the SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition as a free download, and it will work just fine) for following these examples.
Are you thinking of an OBIEE upgrade? If you would like assistance upgrading to OBIEE 12c or assessing your organization’s use of Business Intelligence systems, contact Datavail today. Datavail is a specialized IT services company focused on Data Management with solutions in BI/DW, analytics, database administration, custom application development, and enterprise applications. We provide both professional and managed services delivered via our global delivery model, focused on Microsoft, Oracle and other leading technologies.
EPM applications help measure the business performance. This post will help you choose the best EPM solutions for your organization’s needs and objectives.
Imagine over one hundred logins in the source server, you need to migrate them to the destination server. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could automate the process?