Well, much to my surprise, EPM 188.8.131.52 has already been released! Shall we talk about it? Let’s begin with a comparison chart I whipped up…
Here are my observations after standing up Oracle EPM 184.108.40.206:
- The install and config steps in 220.127.116.11 are identical to 18.104.22.168 in all respects. You still need to worry about RCU; OHS still isn’t its own Windows service, etc.
- The Oracle Middleware layer is also identical between 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199, with the exception of two patches that 188.8.131.52 automatically installs: 27747932 and 27430060. Simply applying these two patches to an 184.108.40.206 system doesn’t give it the Edge & Chrome certifications; you need to be on 220.127.116.11, as Oracle recompiled a lot of their Java classes within the EPM 18.104.22.168 .ear files for Workspace, Planning, etc. We can see evidence of this when we crawl through the .war files within the .ear files in a tool such as 7-zip.
- As with 22.214.171.124, you’ll find 126.96.36.199 is one year behind (as of this writing) in terms of the quarterly Oracle Critical Patch Updates for WebLogic, Java, and OHS.
- There is no need to install 188.8.131.52 first and then in-place upgrade to 184.108.40.206. You may install 220.127.116.11 fresh and then LCM your application content from 18.104.22.168.
- The chief benefits to 22.214.171.124 over 126.96.36.199 are the certifications added for Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.
IE11 will continue to receive Microsoft security updates for as long as Windows 10 remains supported, but as they say, “shots have been fired”. As Microsoft has indicated, Edge is the browser of the future, so has Oracle and thus (I suspect) the push to get 188.8.131.52 out the door (people have been clamoring for Chrome certification as well).
Further reading on Microsoft’s site: Microsoft Lifecycle FAQ.
To learn more about what I’ve discovered about EPM 11.2, download my white paper, “From the Mad Scientist’s Lab: An Assessment of Oracle Hyperion/EPM 11.2.”
Subscribe to Our Blog
Never miss a post! Stay up to date with the latest database, application and analytics tips and news. Delivered in a handy bi-weekly update straight to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.
EPM applications help measure the business performance. This post will help you choose the best EPM solutions for your organization’s needs and objectives.
Curious about Oracle’s new Enterprise Data Management Cloud Service? Get the full scoop in Datavail’s latest blog post.