Select Page

Datanami’s #1 Big Data Trend of 2019: Data Management is Still Hard

Tom Hoblitzell | | October 29, 2019

It’s often said that data is the new currency of the 21st century—which means that the more you have of it, the better. Businesses of all sizes and industries are hungry both for big data and for the digital technologies that convert it into intelligent, valuable insights.

 
Competition in the big data space is fierce, and trends are changing fast. In order to stay on top of the field, organizations need to be apprised of the latest big data developments, as well as the landscape that lies ahead.

Back in January, the big data news portal Datanami put together a list of “10 Big Data Trends to Watch for 2019.” Now that we’re firmly in the back half of the year, we’ve decided to go over each of Datanami’s 10 big data trends to see how they stack up with our own observations. Keep reading for our analysis of Data Trend #1: Data Management is Still Hard.

Perhaps the hardest part of big data analytics, according to Datanami, is assembling the data in a centralized location in the first place.

Extracting data from multiple locations requires a solid technical skill set, not to mention a canny grasp of office politics in order to access the information locked away in data silos. One survey reports that a full 80 percent of businesses experience moderate or severe difficulties with data silos within their organization. (More on that later.)

Information not only needs to be extracted, but also cleansed and transformed before it’s loaded into the data warehouse. Unfortunately, much of this is tedious busywork that occupies too much of data scientists’ time and effort. Just 20 percent of data workers’ jobs actually involves cold, hard data analysis, with the other 80 percent spent on administrative tasks like finding, cleaning, and reorganizing information.

Any data management strategy worth its salt must be able to address and solve these problems. Our white paper “Business Intelligence or Business Inconvenience? Disconnects in Today’s BI Solutions” discusses the reasons why so many business intelligence projects fail—and how your company can avoid the same fate.

Read This Next

Top 10 Big Data Trends of 2019

Now that we’re firmly in the back half of the year, we’ve decided to go over Datanami’s 10 big data trends to see how they stack up with our own observations. Download the white paper to see where we stand with the hottest innovations in the market.

Subscribe to Our Blog

Never miss a post! Stay up to date with the latest database, application and analytics tips and news. Delivered in a handy bi-weekly update straight to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Art of BI: BI Publisher (BIP) Quick Guide and Tips

Read our blog post on how to take over production support of BI Publisher reports.

Sherry Milad | January 15, 2018
Oracle cloud analytics

Art of BI: What is Oracle Analytics Cloud and Why Should You Care?

This blog post discusses the release of Oracle Analytics Cloud, a service that includes Essbase Cloud, Business Intelligence Cloud and Data Visualization Cloud.

Christian Screen | June 8, 2017
big data

Art of BI: Data Warehouse vs. Data Hub

How is Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) different from an Enterprise Data Hub? A new whitepaper from Datavail examines the benefits of using data hubs.

Christian Screen | October 19, 2017

Work with Us

Let’s have a conversation about what you need to succeed and how we can help get you there.

CONTACT US

Work for Us

Where do you want to take your career? Explore exciting opportunities to join our team.

EXPLORE JOBS