Top 14 Quality Assurance (QA) Testing Types for Smooth Application Performance
Author: Chamika Nishani | | December 16, 2021
Quality assurance (QA) is an essential part of the application and software development process. While developers do everything they can to cross the t’s and dot the i’s as they develop products, the final result is never a sure thing without testing, testing, testing.
Our quality assurance and testing team at Datavail helps companies of all sizes and in all industries complete this process for their organization. We stand as a supporting arm of an application development (AppDev) team, using our methodology and best practices to ensure that the applications and software products that go out the door are foolproof every time.
Testing is, of course, the core of QA. There are hundreds of testing types, from performance testing to user acceptance testing (UAT), to automated and manual testing, that can be applied to uncover defects, performance issues, or coding errors before an application is deployed.
For this blog post, we’ve pulled together our most commonly used and most essential testing types – the ones we use almost every time we execute QA – that should be on the must-do list of every QA professional. These help you cover the bases so you don’t have to worry about unexpected issues popping up with customers or internal team members.
There are many additional testing types that could be added to this list, so this list shouldn’t be considered all inclusive. But when it comes to QA & testing, these 14 tests are the place to start.
- Requirements Validation Testing: Identify whether there are any requirements gaps, conflicts or omissions in specifications.
- User Interface Testing: Ensure that the look and feel of the application complies with the agreed specification.
- Sanity/Smoke Testing: Validate whether the solution is testable. This gives you an early indication of quality and reduces the cycle time if it is found that the build is not testable.
- Automated Functional Testing: Automate functional test cases using Datavail Test Automation Framework on Selenium.
- Performance Testing: Check whether the application responds within the expected time in the given environment setup. This includes detection of any performance bottlenecks before deploying to production and experiencing it in real-time to see how it impacts your business, and fine-tuning the application speed and transaction time.
- Load & Stress Testing: Check whether the application can handle the expected data load at peak usage.
- Cross-Browser and Cross-Platform Testing: Verify the application’s main flows, look and feel, and security in different browsers and operating systems.
- Security Testing: Check the application against the given security model & requirements. This enables early detection of any security threats and vulnerabilities.
- User Experience Testing: Test the application for user experiences mimicking ordinary user behavior. Identify user pain points in using the application.
- Deployment Verification: Check the application deployment ability against the provided guidelines.
- UAT Support: Validate whether you can perform the testing efficiently. If required, provide training for testing the solution in scope.
- Privacy Testing: Ensure that the system is designed based on privacy requirements and conforms to the agreed upon policies to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- Disaster Recovery Testing: Ensure the success of the restoration procedures that are executed after a critical IT failure or disruption occurs.
- Defect Elimination/Process QA: Eliminate defects and improve quality by making sure to follow the defined approach, process, and philosophy.
Learn more about our Quality Assurance (QA) & Software Testing Services to gain faster ROI from your applications.
The Datavail team used these 14 testing types (and more) to help a healthcare client test critical applications. Consistency and reliability were paramount in this case, and our rigorous QA process ensured that the client never had to worry about performance issues or unplanned downtime with their custom applications.
You can read more about how we executed QA & software testing in this scenario by downloading the case study, “Large Hospital Network Gains Reliable Quality Assurance (QA) and Software Testing Support.”
Regardless of the industry you operate in, no company can afford to forego or skimp on quality assurance. If your application or software development team needs additional QA support, or if you simply want to offload these important tasks to a trusted partner, contact Datavail. Let our teams apply our specialized skills to perform the mundane but critical QA testing while you focus on strategy and your organization’s core competencies.
Find out about why building a digital bridge for utilities customers isn’t optional, and industry customer engagement success stories.