Going to Open-Source: Why and How to Migrate from Oracle to PostgreSQL
Oracle’s database solutions pack a serious punch, but are they worth the price?
PostgreSQL vs. Oracle: What’s Right for Your Business?
Oracle is a great solution, but its complexity and price tag may make it poorly suited for smaller businesses. Developing and maintaining a software platform capable of supporting all of Oracle’s features at a high level of performance is quite costly. These features may be overkill for the use case for workloads that don’t benefit from this advanced functionality.
Due to these issues, some organizations are migrating away from Oracle and commercial databases. They’re moving to other options, such as open-source databases. PostgreSQL has emerged as a powerful, open-source object-relational database system known for its flexibility, capacity, and value.
The right decision for your organization depends on many factors, including:
- The technical resources you have available.
- Your current and future database performance requirements.
- Your available IT budget.
- How much flexibility you want out of your database.
Datavail’s Take on Migrating from Oracle to PostgreSQL
If your organization is planning on a move from Oracle to PostgreSQL, this white paper will teach you about:
- The benefits of using PostgreSQL as an alternative to Oracle
- Why you should consider migrating from Oracle solutions
- The four steps of preparing for a database migration
- Potential post-migration challenges to account for
- How a Datavail client saved thousands of dollars in licensing fees per year by migrating from Oracle to PostgreSQL, plus a few other wins
Fill out the form to download the white paper and take the first step to an open-source database migration.
Deciding whether to migrate database platforms is never simple. If you need help figuring out the best option for your organization, Datavail’s PostgreSQL services can take you from planning to deployment. Our PostgreSQL specialists have extensive hands-on experience with every step of the Oracle to PostgreSQL migration process, and they’re able to help you get the most out of your investment.
We offer guaranteed reliability, 24×7 database administrator coverage, robust database security, and enterprise-level scaling for PostgreSQL databases. Get your mission-critical workloads ready to migrate to PostgreSQL with Datavail’s services.
Download The White Paper