Specialized IT Services focused on Data Management | Speak with Us 877-634-9222
Art of BI: Installing & Setting JDK for OBIEE 12C (184.108.40.206.0) on AIX
First off, you should always check the certification matrix Oracle provides prior to installing anything… 220.127.116.11.0 Certification Matrix … Once you verify the correct JDK needed for your install, use the url from the certification matrix to download it, IBM JDK 1.8 SR1 FP10 from matrix
Downloading the JDK
For the AIX Power System 7 the IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX Version 8 is the proper download. This correlates to the listed IBM JDK 1.8 SR1 FP10 in the certification matrix.
You will need to either login with an existing account you have set up or register for an IBM ID to be able to access the download… Don’t worry it is free and you can opt out of all the emails as well.
Once logged in I found it easier to download the SDK by selecting the ‘Download using HTTP’ tab and selecting the ‘Latest Redistribution…’ link
Download both of the files to your local workstation.
Create New Directories on AIX Primary Mount
On the application server you will create 2 sub directories for the Java install.
1. Create a directory called Downloads with another directory called JDK underneath that.
2. Create a Java sub-directory with another directory called JDK8 underneath that as well. (Just in case you need to download more than one JDK).
Upload the JDK from you local machine to the directory below, or similar on the AIX machine using SSH or Filezilla:
Installing the JDK
Before you execute the file you need to change the permissions of the file to enable execute. There are 2 ways to do this:
1. Use the command chmod +x j864redist.18.104.22.168.bin.
2. Using Filezilla right click the .bin file and go to File Permissions… make sure you check the Execute boxes and click OK
(before and after, respectfully)
Once permissions are changed execute the file with the command ./j864redist.22.214.171.124.bin
Once you get to this step you will want to set your install location. For this example I set it to /oramp01/Java/JDK8 and then finish out the steps.
After you click done verify the jre is installed in a sub-directory of the JDK
Note: If the JRE is not installed you will need to run the same steps on the j864redist.126.96.36.199.bin file you have also downloaded.
Setting the Java Home
Now you want to set your JAVA_HOME by editing the .profile file to the JDK8
Execute your .profile to re-run it for the current terminal window you are working using the following command,
Once the JAVA_HOME is set you can double-check it by running the command to make sure the correct JDK path is set:
Now you are ready for the next steps of the OBIEE 12c Install on IBM AIX… Happy Installing!
Datavail Script: Terms & Conditions
By using this software script (“Script”), you are agreeing to the following terms and condition, as a legally enforceable contract, with Datavail Corporation (“Datavail”). If you do not agree with these terms, do not download or otherwise use the Script. You (which includes any entity whom you represent or for whom you use the Script) and Datavail agree as follows:
- CONSIDERATION. As you are aware, you did not pay a fee to Datavail for the license to the Script. Consequently, your consideration for use of the Script is your agreement to these terms, including the various waivers, releases and limitations of your rights and Datavail’s liabilities, as setforth herein.
- LICENSE. Subject to the terms herein, the Script is provided to you as a non-exclusive, revocable license to use internally and not to transfer, sub-license, copy, or create derivative works from the Script, not to use the Script in a service bureau and not to disclose the Script to any third parties. No title or other ownership of the Script (or intellectual property rights therein) is assigned to you.
- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK; DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. You agree that your use of the Script and any impacts on your software, databases, systems, networks or other property or services are solely and exclusively at your own risk. Datavail does not make any warranties, and hereby expressly disclaims any and all warranties, implied or express, including without limitation, the following: (1) performance of or results from the Script, (2) compatibility with any other software or hardware, (3) non-infringement or violation of third party’s intellectual property or other property rights, (4) fitness for a particular purpose, or (5) merchantability.
- LIMITATION ON LIABILITY; RELEASE. DATAVAIL SHALL HAVE NO, AND YOU WAIVE ANY, LIABILITY OR DAMAGES UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
You hereby release Datavail from any claims, causes of action, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from your downloading or other use of the Script.
- AGREEMENT. These terms and conditions constitute your complete and exclusive legal agreement between you and Datavail.