Location and General Overview
Datavail is looking for a SQL Server Database Administrator for a client in Houston, TX. This is a 6 month contract-to-hire opportunity. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
We are looking for professional administrators with very strong internals knowledge, who have experience running databases in production environments and database consulting experience. This position would be an exciting opportunity, for the DBA that has the right experience.
Datavail – Company and Culture
Datavail is a global leader in providing 24×7 Database Administration as a Service or DBAaaS. Datavail DBA’s support over 50,000 databases worldwide from delivery centers in the US (New York, Denver, Seattle), along with 100’s of DBA’s working remotely, and offices in India (Thane & Bangalore).
Datavail culture is highly collaborative, innovative, high performance, and operationally disciplined. We pride ourselves on employee empowerment, high expectations, and a systematic mentoring process we call “Educate and Escalate”. Our teams are global and that means everyone works for Datavail, there is no subcontracting. We operate as one global 24×7 team with senior staff in all locations who routinely collaborate on complex tasks. Datavail is a great place to work for technical people who desire a fast paced, innovative environment, and for those who like to take initiative and develop their skills.
Datavail almost exclusively provides DBA services to the market, nothing else. Datavail is organized into 5 “Practices” based on the database technology supported. These Practice teams provide the services to our clients which produce our revenue. You will be directly supporting the systems these folks use globally, most of which are mission critical. You will work directly with and for senior management given the importance of this role.
Applicants must have the following experience in order to be considered for this position:
Mandatory SQL Server DBA Skills:
- 8+ years overall IT experience, with 5+ years on SQL Server including versions 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008 R2 and 2012
- Knowledge of Windows Server technologies
- Proficient in T-SQL
- Skilled in disaster recovery
- 24×7 production support experience
- Knowledge of SQL Server Always On Technology
- Worked in clustered SQL Server environments
- Experienced in setting up SQL Server Log Shipping, Replication and Mirroring
- Worked with 800GB+ SQL Server databases
- Windows batch file scripting
- Familiar with MS Analysis Services and Business Intelligence
- Familiarity with VMWare
- Exudes Microsoft Best Practices
Other Qualities – Required:
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Willing to carry on-call cell-phone/pager (on-call rotation is one week every seven weeks)
- Consistently writes and documents technical environment aspects
If you meet the above requirements and would enjoy working in a thriving fast-faced environment where one can attain the technical satisfaction of supporting several complex customer environments with the stability of working for a single company as a full-time employee, please email USAcareers@datavail.com your resume with a cover letter indicating your compensation requirements and availability, under the subject heading “SQL Server DBA”.